October 22, 2013 | by PWR! | Dr. Becky Farley has over 30 years of experience in neurorehabilitation and she is the CEO/Founder of the non-profit Parkinson Wellness Recovery (PWR!). Dr. Farley has developed a comprehensive neuroplasticity principled model of treatment that targets multiple Parkinson impairments (motor, sensory, cognitive, and emotional) and embraces ALL the latest research on exercise and Parkinson disease!
Every year Dr. Farley personally leads a week-long PD Exercise Revolution at her PWR! Retreat. In this one-of–a-kind exercise event, participants and their partners will meet with PWR! clinicians, physicians, and health/fitness professionals that understand exercise and all it’s benefits as related to Parkinson disease. This is a fun, engaging way to learn all about and PRACTICE the latest research in exercise and PD – how to exercise, why you should exercise, the effect exercise has on PD symptoms and more.
It is about more than just training a few large amplitude movements; instead it is about the training of larger amplitude into the building blocks of FUNction. This allows for increased generalization into everyday activity (sports, hobbies, activities of daily living, function) and into all PD-specific exercise programming (tai chi, pole walking, dance, boxing, yoga and more!)
For more information on Dr. Farley or the PWR! retreat please visit pwr4life.org.
[Parkinson Women Support loves Becky! She has given us mobility and overall better quality of life than we could ever imagined. She has also been an incredibly generous donor to the Parkinson’s Institute. Thank you, and hope to see you soon!]
Other blogs about PWR!
• Goal Accomplished: Bring PRW! to Bay Area PD Patients: http://parkinsonswomen.com/2014/04/16/goal-accomplished-bring-pwr-to-bay-area-pd-patients/
• Five Days at PRW! Gym Tucson: http://parkinsonswomen.com/2013/05/27/5-days-at-pwr-gym-tucson/
• Trailblazers Test the PWR! Retreat: http://parkinsonswomen.com/2013/05/26/trailblazers-test-the-pwr-retreat/
• Walking is a Miracle: http://parkinsonswomen.com/2013/05/27/walking-is-a-miracle/
• Growing Strong in 2011: http://parkinsonswomen.com/2013/05/26/growing-strong-in-2011/